A bed can be eco-friendly and comfortable at the same time. If you’ve been browsing the internet for the most detailed Avocado Mattress reviews, then you’re in luck. In this comprehensive review, we’ll be presenting Avocado’s Green Mattress, while also mentioning their Vegan Mattress.
If you’re curious about what this eco-conscious company has to offer, then stay tuned for more info on the best mattress for you. We’re sure that this is one of the best Avocado Green Mattress reviews on the net!
Our Ratings for Avocado
Value for money
Overview of Our Avocado Mattress Review
- Company Background
- Avocado Green Mattress: Materials and Features
- Avocado Vegan Mattress Features
- Who Can Benefit From This Mattress?
- Who Should Look Elsewhere?
- Durability and Maintenance
- Customer Service
- Terms of Sale
According to the Avocado Mattress reviews, this relatively new brand of organic and completely green mattresses was founded in 2015 with a mission to provide sleepers with affordable, yet high-quality hybrid latex mattresses. Furthermore, not only is Avocado a pending Certified B Corporation, but 1% of all revenues are donated to nonprofits that focus on the environment.
There are two hybrid mattresses that are offered by Avocado: the Avocado Green Mattress and the Avocado Vegan Mattress. This review will primarily focus on the Green Mattress.
Review of the Avocado Green Mattress: Materials and Features
The standard Avocado Green Mattress is 11″ tall, and it is GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment. Furthermore, this popular product contains 3″ of GOLS organic certified Dunlop latex, and it is GOTS Organic Certified. We’ve listed the materials in the Avocado Green Mattress’s layer construction from top to bottom:
- Cotton Ticking (100% Organic): This cotton ticking wraps the entire latex mattress, and it’s OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and GOTS organic certified.
- Wool (100% Organic): This class 1 certified wool that’s sourced from India is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and GOTS organic certified. As for the Avocado Vegan Mattress, instead of wool, the company uses natural hydrated silica as a flame retardant and GOTS organic certified cotton batting, according to reviews of the Avocado mattress.
- Dunlop Latex (Organic): 2″ and sourced from India, it is eco-INSTITUT certified and OEKO-TEX Standard 100, as well as GOLS organic certified.
- Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone: This layer consists of a maximum of 1,414 pocketed support coils in 3 zones (plus 2 reinforced perimeters)
- Dunlop Latex (Organic): 1″ and sourced from India, it is eco-INSTITUT certified and OEKO-TEX Standard 100, as well as GOLS organic certified.
- Cotton Canvas (100% Organic): This material is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and GOTS organic certified.
Construction in Detail
Here’s a little more info on the Avocado Green Mattress and Avocado Vegan Mattress layers:
- The 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton non-removable cover features 32 hand-tufted rosettes. It’s void of fire retardants, harmful chemicals, and glue. It is an off-white creamy color with greenish piping, according to reviews of the Avocado Green Mattress.
- The main difference between the Avocado Green and the Avocado Vegan Mattress lies in the comfort layers. As we mentioned, the latter natural mattress features GOTS-certified organic cotton, a cruelty-free material that provides plenty of the same benefits of wool. On the downside, many Avocado Green and Vegan Mattress reviews reveal that organic cotton isn’t as durable as wool.
- According to an Avocado Green Mattress pillow-top review, in beds with this added feature, the cotton or wool layer is followed by 2″ of organic Dunlop latex (GOLS-certified). Keep in mind that latex provides the bed with optimal resilience and a firm bounce. Furthermore, natural latex is antimicrobial, and it discourages common allergens such as dust mites.
- As mentioned, this natural mattress’s support core consists of a pocketed innerspring. These steel coils are created in the US by Leggett & Platt, and they come in three gauges. According to Avocado Green Innerspring Mattress reviews, these coils are individually adjusted for five ergonomic zones. Combined, these ergonomic zones create a latex mattress that’s firm in specific areas and soft in others (for instance, the feet or shoulders).
According to other Avocado Green Mattress reviews, both the Avocado Green and Avocado Vegan mattresses are firm beds (7/10 on a scale where 10 is the firmest) without the optional pillow-top, or medium-firm (6.5/10) with the pillow-top added. Remember that latex is considered a very flexible material with minimal conforming. Due to these features, plus the added bounce, the latex creates a feeling of floating on top of the bed. Hence, we believe customers who prefer a bed that provides a “sinking feeling” won’t be fully satisfied with this mattress.
There are three main factors impacting why Avocado’s beds offer great temperature neutrality for hot sleepers: the latex’s naturally cool surface, the lack of a body-contouring sink, and the layer of cotton or wool.
According to Avocado Mattress reviews, natural latex is known for having an open-cell structure. This means that it’s more effective in keeping body temperatures neutral during the night compared to organic mattresses made from memory foam. Also, the more the sleeper sinks into the bed, the hotter it tends to be during sleep. Furthermore, thanks to the breathable layer of cotton or wool, Avocado’s organic mattresses don’t have issues with a lack of airflow.
According to most Avocado Green Mattress customer reviews, Avocado’s mattresses are excellent for all sleepers, regardless of what the scale says. Hence, we believe the Avocado Green Mattress and the Vegan Mattress are suitable for both physically lighter and heavier sleepers.
Thanks to the steel perimeter around the innerspring core, as well as the density of the latex, Avocado beds provide sleepers with excellent support across the whole sleep surface. Also, there was zero concern about falling off the bed when sleeping near the edge. This feature is particularly important for couples and people who sleep in the same bed with their children.
According to Avocado Mattress reviews, both the Avocado Green Mattress and the Vegan variation have proven to be excellent in isolating motion. Even though sleepers may feel their partner getting out of bed or moving throughout the night, the Avocado mattress still performed better in motion transfer tests than other latex hybrid beds.
However, be aware that innerspring/latex hybrid mattresses will never come close to isolating motion as well as all-foam beds (as these are better at absorbing surface movement). Hence, light sleepers need to keep in mind that there is a possibility of being disturbed by their partner’s or child’s movements during the night.
Avocado Vegan Mattress Features
Reviews of the Avocado Mattress reveal that what sets the Vegan Mattress apart from the Green Mattress is that it doesn’t contain any wool, making it, as the name implies, completely vegan. The Avocado Vegan Mattress is made from organic cotton and organic latex, and it’s free from fire retardants and foams. This product comes with a vegan certification from Vegan Action, and it’s approved by PETA.
The Avocado Green Mattress’s latex provides sleepers with ultimate support and resilience, whereas motion transfer is reduced by the pocketed coils. Due to this fantastic combination, the hybrid mattress feels almost identical to the traditional innerspring. Customers can also opt for a 2″ pillow-top made from latex, adding extra comfort for side sleeping by soothing pressure points in the shoulders and hips. The Queen Avocado Green Mattress comes at a $1,399 price point.
Durability and Maintenance
According to mattress reviews of the Avocado Green, a mattress manufactured by this eco-friendly company will expand fully within just a couple of hours after removing it from its box. Customers can lie down on it within 30 minutes. Due to the fact that mattresses by Avocado are completely void of chemicals and 100% organic, there are no issues with off-gassing. This means customers won’t need to wait for an unpleasant odor to vanish.
All in all, innerspring and latex mattresses are among the most durable types of beds, and so are the offerings by Avocado. Even though the company has only been running since 2015, given the high quality of the materials, it’s expected that both the Avocado Green Mattress and Vegan Mattress will offer customers a long lifespan with minimal need for fixes.
Avocado mattress reviews reveal two useful tips to clean the mattresses in order to maintain their optimal functionality. All you need is some baking soda, dish detergent, hydrogen peroxide, and cold water. Sidenote: Do not use steam cleaners when maintaining your mattress’s appearance, as this can damage the latex.
1. Baking Soda Magic
You can easily freshen things up with the help of a few sprinkles of baking soda on the problematic parts of the mattress. Just sprinkle the baking soda and let it sit for around 30 minutes. When the time’s up, remove it with a vacuum cleaner or cloth.
2. Attack the Stains
According to customer reviews of the Avocado Green Mattress, if you have stubborn stains on your mattress that just won’t budge, then try this concoction. Combine 1–2 parts of hydrogen peroxide with 1 part table salt/baking soda and 1 part detergent. Put a tiny amount of this mix onto the stain. Finally, let it air dry.
According to Avocado Green Mattress reviews and consumer reports, overall, buyers are satisfied with Avocado’s customer service, regardless of whether they liked the mattress or not. If you’re interested in contacting Avocado, you can call Monday through Friday (10 a.m.–8 p.m. EST or 7 a.m.–5 p.m. PST). However, keep in mind that it’s natural for the return process to take between 5–7 business days during times of high volume.
Terms of Sale
So where to buy the Avocado Green Mattress? Interested customers can purchase their Avocado mattress directly on the company’s website. Furthermore, Avocado’s products can be tested at their Experience Centers in New Jersey, California, Hoboken, and Santa Monica, where interested customers can try out a variety of sleep products.
Avocado offers customers a warranty of 25 years. Also, customers who decide to purchase an optional mattress topper receive a limited warranty of 10 years on this particular feature. Avocado’s limited warranty covers manufacturer errors—which doesn’t include the typical decrease in softness or wear and tear.
Furthermore, customers need to keep in mind that the warranty can’t be transferred, and the mattress must be opened and removed from the box within 14 days. In our Avocado mattress review, we want to note that while Avocado’s 25-year limited warranty is impressive, other competing mattress brands offer warranties that last a lifetime.
Next up in this Avocado Green Mattress review is the trial period—by purchasing an Avocado mattress, customers gain a one-year trial period. Remember, many other mattress companies only offer 120 days.
Also, this company doesn’t require its customers to test the product for a certain period before deciding to issue a return (like other companies). However, Avocado suggests that these organic mattresses should be tried out for 30–60 days. In order to return your Avocado mattress, all you need to do is call the company’s customer service. After this, Avocado will take care of the pickup without additional restocking or shipping fees.
Mattresses by Avocado are shipped to customers for free in Alaska, Hawaii, and the continental US. However, Avocado does not ship beds to Fleet Post Offices, Air/Army Post Offices, or P.O. Boxes.
According to reviews of the Avocado Green Mattress, customers in the continental United States who require the optional in-home delivery and setup can receive this for an additional $199. These in-home deliveries are great for customers purchasing king or California king mattresses with a pillow-top, as these weigh 150 pounds or more.
Avocado Green Mattress Price
For the Avocado Green Mattress, most king reviews note that the price of the Avocado bed is slightly higher than other similar products on the market (for comparison, Saatva mattresses start at $599 for a twin). Also, keep in mind that the Avocado Green Mattress and the Vegan variety cost the same.
Who Can Benefit From This Mattress?
- People suffering from back pain
- Stomach sleepers
- People who prefer a firm mattress
- Customers weighing 230 lbs or more (according to an Avocado Green Mattress for heavy weight people review, these mattresses are firm enough to provide optimal support—of course, this is without the use of a pillow-top)
- Customers searching for an eco-friendly bed
Who Should Look Elsewhere?
- People who prefer a lot of sinkage (the feeling that foam mattresses provide)
- People who prefer a soft mattress
- Lighter customers who suffer from shoulder or hip pain (even though Avocado mattresses are suitable for these types of sleepers, Avocado’s firm feel may create unnecessary pressure points at the shoulders and hips for side sleepers)
- Cost-conscious customers
Avocado Green Mattress Review Summary
Not only are Avocado’s mattresses made from some of the highest-quality materials, but they also offer pressure relief and proper spinal alignment. What’s more, the Avocado Mattress is firm with a targeted coil support system and pressure-relieving latex. We highly suggest this mattress for people who suffer from persistent back pain or pain in the hips and shoulders.
Furthermore, it’s ideal for stomach sleepers who are tired of their hips dipping into mattresses that aren’t supportive enough. However, keep in mind that if you’re looking for a mattress that will hug your body, then maybe a foam mattress will be a better choice.