Casper earned its first million only after a month from its launch in 2014. In less than two years, it made $100 million. Its growth in the mattress-in-a-box industry is amazing! Clearly, a lot of people like Casper mattresses.
So would you like to find out what they offer?
In our in-depth Casper mattress review, we’ll analyze all three Casper models and give you all the necessary details to help you make a well-informed decision on your mattress purchase.
Our in-depth evaluation of the three variations of mattresses offered by the hugely popular brand revealed that Casper lives up to the hype!
Value for money
How Did the Casper Mattress Make Our List?
With fast-developing technology and healthy brand competition, it’s no secret there are many fantastic mattresses out there. We’re constantly comparing mattresses side-by-side to find out which one is the cream-of-the-crop. For example, we’ve compared the Leesa vs Casper, two budget-friendly mattresses, and we found out that each has something to offer to its customers.
To discover the best mattress ourselves, our team of researchers delved into the task of carefully reviewing the best mattresses for 2020.
The result? We give our vote to these Casper mattresses for being some of the very best mattresses out there. Why? All three Casper models provide great comfort for the vast majority of sleepers, although each of them offers a different feel thanks to their distinctive features.
Out of all the mattresses we tested, in this Casper mattress review, we found that these particular mattresses provide the best all-around support and decent edge support. Even when we did an in-depth analysis, our team discovered nothing but positive user reviews.
Casper was founded in 2014 and it became a huge success in no time. Thanks to its reasonable pricing and comfortable mattresses made of high-quality materials and delivered to the front door, Casper quickly grew in popularity.
Today it sells three mattress models: the Original, the Wave Hybrid, and the Nova Hybrid. Plus, it offers pillows, bed frames, and bedding.
The Reviews of the Casper Mattress Models
Before we delve into the features of each mattress individually, let’s take a quick look at the key differences between the three models.
|The Casper Original||The Wave Hybrid||The Nova Hybrid|
Casper Mattress Features
All three models are made of several foam layers. However, both the number of layers and the types of foam used are different for each model. So let’s delve into these mattress layers to find out more about their construction. Here are our in-depth mattress reviews of Casper models.
The Casper Original Mattress Construction
- The Cover: The Original has a removable cover made of polyester. It’s soft and comfortable, and although it’s made with an upholstery-grade knit, it doesn’t ruin the softness and breathability of the mattress.
- The Top Layer: The top layer is made from Airscape perforated foam that promotes air circulation. One mattress review described the Casper as a “supportive cloud.” And although it allows you to sink into the mattress, you can easily change sleeping positions.
- The Middle Layer: The middle layer of the Original is made of memory foam, which contours around your body and gives you that “hug” feeling. The best thing about it is that it offers fantastic zoned support. The softer type of foam can be found at either end of the mattress, while the firmer type can be found in the very center of the mattress. Most Casper mattress reviews agree that it’s great how these two layers work together for continual joint-pressure relief.
- The Base Layer: The base layer of the Original is made of high-density polyfoam, which provides you with adequate support. It also gives the mattress its shape and makes it durable.
The Original Hybrid Mattress Construction
Casper has recently added a hybrid version of the Casper original mattress. When it comes to their constructions, the only difference is that the hybrid model features pocketed coils in its foundation layer. As you can see in more than one Casper hybrid mattress review, the new model has a bit improved edge support and temperature regulation. Also, thanks to its springs, it’s more responsive.
The Wave Hybrid Mattress Construction
- The Cover: The Wave has a cover made of polyester, wool, and rayon. Casper created this wool-infused cover in order to improve temperature regulation and fight humidity.
- The Top Layer: The first layer of the Wave is made of AirScape foam, which is meant to provide you with comfort. After giving the mattress a try for our Casper Wave review, we can say that it lets you sink in a bit, relieving your pressure points. It’s also perforated and cooling gel-infused, so it improves the mattress’s temperature regulation.
- The Comfort Layer: Below the first layer, you’ll find another layer of AirScape foam, which should further improve air circulation. Besides being breathable, this layer also provides a fair amount of pressure relief.
- The Support Layer: This layer consists of supportive memory foam, which features three ergonomic zones. This way, it provides pressure relief for your sensitive points, such as shoulders, and extra support to your back. Many Casper Wave mattress reviews confirm this. Also, thanks to AirScape perforated foam, the mattress doesn’t overheat, which is a concern with many memory foam mattresses.
- The Transition Layer: The transition layer of the Wave is made of supportive polyfoam with gel pods, which are part of the hyper-targeted support system. They’re placed in the center of the mattress to provide additional support to your trunk and keep your spine in perfect alignment.
- The Base Layer: The foundation of the mattress consists of a layer of pocketed coils, which are encased in high-density polyfoam. They enhance the mattress’s airflow and make it quite responsive, which is also mentioned in many Casper hybrid mattress reviews.
The Nova Mattress Construction
The new Casper mattress is vastly improved when compared to the last model. It’s carefully constructed out of four layers made from different types of foam and springs that work together to revolutionize your sleeping experience. In addition to a zip-on cover on the top, the Casper Mattress is made up of layers that measure 12 inches in total. Here’s a quick look at the mattress structure:
- The Cover: Made of high-quality fabric, the cover is velvety-soft and extra stretchy.
- The Comfort Layer: The first layer of the mattress is designed to provide comfort. It’s made from AirScape foam that sinks in to allow comfortable cushioning, pressure relief, and targeted support. This material is very breathable, which means you’ll sleep cool. However, based on some Casper mattress reviews on Reddit, the Casper won’t keep you cool if you’re an extremely hot sleeper.
- The Support Layer: The second layer is a support layer, made from two different kinds of polyfoam that offer fantastic zoned support.
- The Transition Layer: The third layer is made from high-density memory foam that molds to the shape of your body. It’s particularly interesting that this layer has contoured channels, which improve spinal alignment and provide pressure relief to your shoulders and legs.
- The Foundation Layer: Finally, the base layer is made up of resilient springs. Plus, heavy-duty polyfoam is placed around the perimeter of the mattress to improve its edge support. According to many Casper Nova mattress reviews, the springs add some bounce to the mattress.
When talking about mattress comfort, we need to consider its firmness level, sinkage, and the support it provides. These three elements define both how the mattress will feel, which is quite the subjective characteristic, and how it will contribute to your spinal alignment.
Since we know that people of different weights, heights, and body types will feel a mattress’s firmness differently, we enlisted a team to help us give a well-rounded Casper mattress review.
- The Casper Original: The Casper Mattress has come in at a strong 6.5–7 out of 10. Therefore, our team found that the Casper Mattress has a medium firmness level.
- The Wave Hybrid: Our team found that the Wave has a more plush feel. On a firmness scale, it scored an average of 5.7, which is a bit on the softer side.
- The Nova Hybrid: Our team gave the Nova an average of 6.3 on a firmness scale of 1–10 (with 10 being the most firm). So it’s very close to the industry standard for medium firmness, which is 6.5.
- The Casper Original: In our review of the Casper mattress, we found that the sinkage of this mattress is between 1 and 1.5 inches when you’re lying down and 2 inches when sitting. This is pretty admirable!
- The Wave Hybrid: The Wave has a sinkage level of about 2 inches when lying on it and 2.5 inches when sitting.
- The Nova Hybrid: In our Casper Nova mattress review, the new model showed a bit higher sinkage level than the Casper Original. When you lie on it, it sinks about 1.5–2 inches, and when you sit on it, the sinkage is around 2.5 inches.
- The Casper Original: Thanks to the zoned support, the mattress keeps your spine in perfect alignment no matter if you prefer sleeping on your side, back, or stomach.
- The Wave Hybrid: Although the Wave offers a soft feel, you won’t feel stuck in the mattress thanks to its supportive bottom layers. While we were preparing this Casper Wave mattress review, we’ve noticed that its polyfoam with gel pads offers ample support to back and side sleepers. However, stomach sleepers might need a firmer option that will provide greater support to their hips.
- The Nova Hybrid: The Nova offers an adequate amount of support, which keeps your spine in proper alignment in all sleeping positions. Thanks to the ergonomic zones, it provides a perfect mix of support and pressure relief.
According to most Casper mattress reviews, these mattresses are temperature neutral since they won’t overheat, but they also won’t cool you down.
Here are some of the features that contribute to the mattresses’ good temperature regulation:
- The top layer is made of perforated breathable foam in all three Casper models.
- The Nova Hybrid and the Wave Hybrid feature additional layers of this material, which increases air circulation.
- The Wave also has a cooling gel coating, which is there to enhance its temperature regulation.
Regarding the cooling features of any mattress by Casper, any review will tell you that they have a breathable open-cell structure. In short, you’ll be able to get a good night’s sleep even during hot summer nights!
When you share a mattress with a partner and you’re using the full extent of the space, it’s important to be aware of the support you’ll have at the edges.
The new and improved Casper Mattress has extra support at the center, top, and foot of the mattress, which may improve the overall edge support significantly. Also, according to more than one Casper hybrid review, new hybrid models have excellent edge support, which makes them a great choice for couples. Although all Casper models come in all standard sizes, we always recommend getting a king-size mattress if you share your bed with a partner.
We know how important minimal motion transfer is when you share a bed with your partner, kids, or even a pet. You’ll be happy to know that most customers’ mattress reviews found that the Casper mattresses do rather well regarding this topic. When we compared the Casper vs Purple, we noticed that the latter didn’t perform so well in dampening movement. This is because the memory foam layer in all three Casper models helps absorb, isolate, and minimize movement quite well.
Durability and Maintenance
When you’re spending hundreds on a mattress, this purchase can be regarded as a serious investment. So it’s important to ask yourself how long it will last. Unfortunately, the lifespan of a Casper mattress is difficult to gauge as the company has only been around since 2014. As a fairly young company, there is no lengthy consumer experience data from which to draw on.
Still, we need to answer the question, Is a Casper mattress worth it? Well, Casper users have reported that these mattresses perform pretty well over the course of a few years.
A similar mattress has a lifespan of about six years, and as most mattresses have an average lifespan of five to ten years, this is pretty normal. With a ten-year warranty, you can rest assured a Casper mattress will last well within this time frame.
Regardless of the model, you can easily remove the cover from your Casper mattress and spot clean it with a mild detergent if needed. However, don’t machine-wash it because it will shrink. Also, you can use a Casper protector to keep stains at bay. You can read a Casper mattress protector review to find out more about this product or check out our top 10 list of best mattress protectors. Moreover, you should rotate your mattress at least two times a year in order to prolong its lifespan.
If you have any questions about Casper products either before or after your purchase, you can contact their customer service team seven days a week. You can choose from sending an online inquiry, phoning them, or starting an online chat. Either way, Casper’s customer support is generally very responsive and helpful. There aren’t many complaints about it.
However, according to some customer reviews, they can be a bit slow. Also, one Casper Wave review on Reddit suggests that they should put a little more energy into improving their customer service department.
Terms of Sale
People at Casper are so confident in their mattresses that they offer a 100-night free sleep trial. This means that if you don’t like your new mattress, they will come, collect the mattress, and donate it to charity at no extra cost to you!
Casper offers free shipping straight to your doorstep within the United States and Canada. Estimated shipping can be anything from one day (in New York) to five days (nationwide). No matter whether you’ve purchased a Casper twin mattress or a California king, all Casper mattresses are shipped in a standard box that measures 19″ x 19″ x 42″ and weigh anything from 44 to 110 pounds.
For a fee of $149, you can take advantage of Casper’s White Glove Service, which includes an unpacking service as well as the removal of your old mattress. However, if you opt for a Wave mattress, you can get free in-home delivery and setup depending on your location. Once you’ve unwrapped the mattress, it will expand on its own and should be ready to use within 24 hours.
Casper offers a ten-year non-prorated warranty, which can be used to repair or replace a defective mattress. The warranty is available only to customers who purchase the mattress directly from Casper or one of their affiliated companies.
Casper Mattress Price
The prices of the Casper mattresses vary by size and model, so it’s best to check them out on its official website. The Casper Original is the most budget-friendly option since its price begins at $595, while the Casper Wave is their most luxurious model. Of course, this will cost you a bit more: a twin size comes with a price tag of $1,250.
When deciding to purchase the Casper Mattress, it’s important to consider where to buy it from. More often than not, the very best place to buy a mattress is from the manufacturer’s official website. Buying directly on the Casper website also means you can make the most of fantastic online discounts. From time to time, they offer Casper mattress coupon codes that you can use at checkout, giving you the best value and peace of mind on your purchase.
In addition, Casper has teamed up with Affirm to offer 0% APR interest-free financing, subject to the usual credit checks. You’ll know exactly what you’ll owe upfront before making any decision. Bear in mind that there are no hidden costs whatsoever, though the estimated cost excludes taxes and shipping costs.
Who Should Buy the Casper Original?
- Sleepers with sensitive pressure points: Those who suffer from aching joints, such as sore shoulders and hips, may benefit from the zoned support layer that alleviates the pressure on these parts of the body.
- Couples: Restless sleepers or those with sleeping partners who constantly toss and turn will find the Casper a great choice since it absorbs motion very well.
- Back and stomach sleepers: The Casper mattress offers great support to back and stomach sleepers, who will find the contour layer of the mattress fits snugly without feeling as though you’ve sunk in.
Who Should Buy the Wave Hybrid?
- Heavier people: Unlike the Casper Original, the Wave provides ample support to heavier people. It has five foam layers, totaling 11.5″, which makes it the thickest option in this mattress family.
- Couples: Just like the Casper, the Wave is good at dampening movement. Therefore, almost any review of the Casper Wave recommends it as a solid pick for people who don’t want to be disturbed by their partner getting out of the bed or tossing around during the night.
- Side sleepers: Thanks to the Zoned Support system, this mattress is a great option for side sleepers. They’ll enjoy extra support under their trunk and a plush feel under the shoulders and legs.
Who Should Buy the Nova Hybrid?
- Combo sleepers: The Nova offers a nice bouncy feel, so combo sleepers can easily change positions during the night without feeling stuck in the mattress.
- Couples: Good edge support allows couples to use the entire surface of the mattress.
Who Should Look Elsewhere and Why?
- Hot sleepers: Although Casper mattresses don’t keep body heat like most memory foam mattresses, they don’t use any technology that will cool you off either. So are Casper mattresses hot? No, they’re temperature neutral, which suits most sleepers. But if you sleep extremely hot, you’d better check out the Casper hybrid models.
- Side sleepers: Some side sleepers may find the Casper too firm, not providing enough relief for their pressure points. However, this is a rather subjective feel.
- Stomach sleepers: Most stomach sleepers need a firmer mattress to support their hips, so the Wave might be too soft for this sleeping position.
- People on a budget: If you don’t want a luxury mattress but you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, then the Wave is not the best choice. In that case, you may consider the Casper Mattress.
Are Casper Mattresses Good?
Now that we’ve taken a close look at all three mattresses produced by Casper, we can say with certainty that they offer great comfort and support for a wide variety of sleeping types. Since each model is unique, you have to think of what you need before you make your decision. Consider what kind of feel you like, your sleeping position, and of course how much money you want to spend. Casper definitely has something for everyone!