Do you think you need to be a rocket scientist to produce mattresses?
Well, maybe you don’t have to, but one of the Purple founders is an engineer with 13 years of experience in aerospace materials. And the other founder is his brother, whose expert knowledge in manufacturing, design, and project management has come in really handy.
So can you guess what they made when they put their heads together?
Definitely something very unique! A one-of-a-kind material—hyper-elastic polymer—which they use for the production of their Purple mattresses. In our in-depth Purple Mattress review, we’ll compare and contrast the three main Purple models and hopefully help you choose the one that suits you most.
So would you like to learn more about this cool material and find out if the Purple mattresses are right for you?
Just keep on reading!
The Purple Mattress vs the Purple Hybrid Models
The Purple Mattress
The Purple Hybrid Models
How Did the Purple Mattresses Make Our List?
Purple Mattresses are among the best-valued mattresses on the market. Why? They offer fantastic support and pressure relief for your aching joints. Plus, their unusual grid-like structure with air-flow pockets helps keep you cool while you sleep. Therefore, we couldn’t leave it out from our list of top-rated mattresses.
As a result of our in-depth review of Purple Mattresses, our team of researchers found that this incredible grid support has a lot of other benefits as well. It gives just the right support for the hips and shoulders for side sleepers, provides just the right amount of bounce, and famously provides softness where you want it and firmness where you need it for back sleepers. The result? A fantastic night’s sleep regardless of your preferences!
Let’s delve into our Purple mattress comparison. Here you can find out all the nitty-gritty: what the mattresses are made of, what kind of feel they offer, and how they deal with body heat and motion transfer.
The Purple Mattress Construction
The Purple Mattress is made up of three layers with a blend of polyfoam, polyester, lycra, viscose, and hyper-elastic polymer. It measures 9.5 inches thick no matter which size mattress you buy, from the Purple mattress in a twin size to the California king. The Purple Mattress also fits on just about any foundation, which makes it a very convenient choice if you’re looking to update your current mattress and don’t want to splurge on a new bed base.
- The Cover: The cover of the Purple Mattress is made up of a mix of polyester, viscose, and lycra material that is both breathable and stretchy. The cover can be easily removed. However, it’s not advisable to wash it in the washing machine as it may cause shrinkage.
- The Comfort Layer: This layer is the main difference you’ll notice in the Purple Mattress vs TempurPedic comparison. Whereas the latter has memory foam, the former comes with its own formula. The Purple mattress’s comfort layer is made up of a hyper-elastic polymer that allows for flexible movement. Using Purple’s fancy “smart grid” design, this first layer evenly distributes weight and pressure throughout the mattress. It also has air pockets that allow the mattress to breathe and keep you cool.
- The Transition Layer: The Transition Layer is made up of a dense polyfoam that provides excellent support. However, according to some Purple mattress reviews on Reddit, heavier people don’t find this mattress supportive enough.
- The Base: The base of the mattress is made up of a thick polyfoam that provides the structure and shape of the mattress.
The Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier Construction
These Purple mattresses feature a hybrid construction, meaning that they combine an innerspring system with a blend of materials that include polyfoam, polyester, lycra, viscose, and hyper-elastic polymer. The Purple Hybrid is 11″ thick, while Purple Hybrid Premier comes in two different thickness options, 12″ and 13″, depending on the thickness of your comfort level. These options are sometimes referred to as Purple 2, Purple 3, and Purple 4: the numbers in their names correspond to their comfort layer thickness. This choice is one of the most praised qualities of the Purple mattress on Amazon. Now let’s see what these mattresses are made of:
- The Cover: The Premium StretchMax cover is made from a combination of polyester and spandex. It’s very breathable to improve the mattress’s temperature regulation.
- The Comfort Layer: This layer is the same as in the Original Purple mattress. It consists of a smart comfort grid made of hyper-elastic polymer, which is a distinctive feature of Purple mattresses. However, now you have a chance to choose how thick the comfort layer should be: 2″, 3″, or 4″. The most popular option is the Purple 3 mattress since its firmness level suits most sleepers.
- The Transition Layer: This layer, made up of a dense polyfoam, allows a subtle transition between two very different layers.
- The Support Layer: This 7.5-inch-thick layer uses a pocketed coil system, which is the major difference when compared to the Original Purple. In addition to providing excellent support, these individually wrapped responsive support coils are great at isolating motion.
- The Base: The foundation layer is made of dense polyurethane foam, which provides support to the coil system.
How comfortable a mattress will be depends on several factors, including its firmness, support, and sinkage level. In order to provide you with a comprehensive Purple Mattress review, we’ve examined all three elements.
When it comes to judging firmness, it’s important to remember that it’s a subjective matter. Everyone will feel it differently due to differences in body weight, height, and personal preferences. Because we know how important it is to give a well-rounded opinion, we brought in a team of reviewers to help us determine an objective firmness rating of the Purple mattresses.
- After doing a proper analysis, our team found the Original Purple to have medium firmness. On a scale of 1–10 (with 10 being the most firm), the Original comes in at 6.4. Many reviews of the Original Purple mattress on Reddit claim that its firmness level is great for all sleeping positions.
- A great thing about the hybrid models is that you can choose the firmness level. If you prefer firm mattresses, you should definitely go with the Purple Hybrid, which received an average rate of 7.
- When it comes to firmness, the Purple Hybrid Premier with 3” Purple grid is very similar to the Original Purple. Our team gave it a score of 6.5, which is the industry standard for medium firmness.
- Finally, if you prefer a softer feel, you can check out the Purple Hybrid Premier with 4” Purple grid. Its firmness level is somewhere around 5.5–6. Generally, side sleepers prefer the Purple 4 mattress because it relieves their pressure points.
Sinkage is another important characteristic that you should consider when assessing the mattress’s comfort. Bear in mind that the amount of sinkage largely depends on your body weight. Also, depending on your sleeping preferences, you’ll need a different level of sinkage.
We’ve found out that all Purple mattresses have a similar sinkage level. They sink to 1–2 inches when you are lying on the bed. When you sit on the edge of the bed, the sinkage is more noticeable and varies between 2.5 and 4 inches.
According to more than one Purple hybrid mattress review, as well as our own analysis, Purple Hybrid Premier with 4” Purple grid showed the greatest amount of sinkage, and the firmest option, the Purple Hybrid, sinks in the least. However, all four models will give you the same feeling of lying on top of the mattress.
Finally, a comfortable mattress needs to provide adequate support that maintains proper spinal alignment. Thanks to the hyper-elastic polymer, all models provide ample support to all types of sleepers. While Purple’s smart comfort grid allows your body to sink in a bit, thus alleviating pressure points, at the same time, it doesn’t let you feel stuck in the bed.
According to many honest Purple mattress reviews, the hybrid models are even more supportive than its predecessor thanks to their responsive coils. Therefore, the hybrid models are a better option for people of above-average weight.
One of Purple’s most significant claims to fame is the fact that it’s one of the best on the market for resolving hot sleepers’ problems. With individual pockets located between the grid pattern, the air can flow freely between the layers. This feature ensures that the mattress will enable you to sleep cool, all night long. Also, a number of customers describe the Purple as a cool mattress.
Couples who share a bed will know that every little piece of space counts. That’s why it’s important to understand what the support will be like at the edge of the mattress before you buy it.
The Original Purple doesn’t perform particularly well regarding edge support, but it’s average compared to similar competitors. Some customers have found that the edge support is somewhat inadequate for heavy-weight sleepers.
Based on the Purple mattress reviews on Amazon, the Purple hybrid mattresses perform much better than the Original Purple regarding edge support. This is thanks to a layer of high-density polyfoam surrounding the comfort grid and pocketed coils.
For people who share their bed with a partner or pet, it’s critical to know what it will feel like when someone has a restless night. Unfortunately, we can’t say that this aspect is Purple’s best suit since the smart comfort grid isn’t great at absorbing motion. So if you are a light sleeper, you’ll probably feel some movement coming from your partner’s side of the bed, which is also mentioned in many Purple mattress reviews.
The hybrid options are slightly better in this department thanks to their individually wrapped coils. When it comes to dampening motion, they’re rather average when compared to other hybrid mattresses.
Durability and Maintenance
The Original Purple is an excellent choice and value for a number of reasons—the primary one being that it lasts much longer than most foam mattresses of its kind. According to the data available to us during the time of our research, we found that the foam and polymer materials that make up the Purple Mattress are surprisingly long-lasting. The mostly positive reviews of the Purple mattress show that Purple’s mattresses are made of quality materials that don’t wear quickly. Furthermore, the pocketed coils used in the hybrid options even prolong their durability since they prevent sagging.
When it comes to mattress care, it’s really very simple. If you need to clean the mattress, you can use either upholstery cleaners or homemade products. It’s very convenient that the cover can be taken off, but you shouldn’t machine wash it since you don’t want to shrink it. Furthermore, during our research for this Purple Mattress review, we discovered that the Purple had achieved 85% customer satisfaction, which is a pretty good rate.
Besides offering unique products, Purple has a helpful support center that you can reach out to if you have any questions. Customer support representatives are there to give their customers the royal treatment and to deal with their issues in the best way possible. However, most customers’ only complaint has been that they were on hold for quite a while.
Terms of Sale
The major drawback of shopping online is that you can’t test the product on your own. Fortunately, this isn’t the case with Purple mattresses. Want to try before you buy? You can test out the results of our review of the Purple Mattress with the 100-night risk-free trial to ensure you’re getting the right mattress for you. That means 100% customer satisfaction or a 100% money-back guarantee. If you don’t think the Purple Mattress is the right choice for you, they will arrange a pickup and remove the mattress from your house free of charge.
Purple Mattresses are shipped free to all 48 contiguous states within the US. They’re usually ready to ship between one and three days. If you opt for the Purple Hybrid Premier mattress, you’ll also get free white-glove delivery, so you don’t have to set up the mattress on your own. Numerous Purple hybrid mattress reviews point out that you should take advantage of this perk. What’s more, they can also take away your old mattress free of charge.
Finally, Purple mattresses come with a ten-year warranty, so you can be sure you’ll still be having a good night’s sleep for a decade’s time. However, read the warranty carefully because certain conditions can void it. For example, if you place your mattress on an inadequate foundation, Purple won’t be responsible for any damage that might arise.
Purple Mattress Price
The Original Purple is a more budget-friendly option when compared to the Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier. Its price range starts at $649 for a twin mattress and goes to $1,399 for a California king.
The Purple Hybrid is currently available online for anything from $1,299 for a twin extra long to $1,899 for a California king. The cost of the Purple Hybrid Premier relies mainly on the size of the mattress you intend to buy and the firmness level you choose. For the softer option (the Purple 4 mattress), you’ll need to set aside from $2,499 to $3,499, while the firmer option (the Purple 3) is a bit less expensive.
We have previously ascertained that Purple mattresses offer excellent value for the money. However, for those who want a bargain price, there are some wonderful discounts available online. Be sure to check the Purple Mattress website for the latest Purple Mattress coupon codes that get you fantastic discounts on the price of the mattress. Sometimes there are even special offers that include a gift with your purchase.
If you can’t afford to pay for the Purple Mattress upfront, you can take advantage of their financing options. This allows you to pay off the mattress monthly over the course of 6, 12, or 18 months. Rates are available from 0% to 30% APR. What we love about this option is that there are no hidden costs. You can calculate how much you’ll owe on their website.
Who Should Buy the Purple Mattress?
- People who sleep hot: Purple’s smart comfort grid allows for excellent airflow. When we compared the Purple mattress vs Casper, the former did better in this department thanks to the grid-like structure made of hyper-elastic polymer.
- People with aches and pains: The grid-like pattern also supports your body weight and relieves the pressure on various joints. This results in a good night’s sleep and fewer aches and pains.
- People who prefer all-foam mattresses: Sleepers who don’t like the bouncy feel of coils will find the Original Purple a great choice.
- People on a budget: The Original Purple is much more affordable than the hybrid options.
Who Should Buy the Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier?
- People who sleep hot: Just like the Original Purple, the hybrid models will keep you cool throughout the night. In a Purple mattress vs Helix comparison, we’ve noticed that both mattresses have great air circulation thanks to their coil systems. You can also read our full Helix mattress review. However, the Purple Smart Comfort Grid additionally promotes airflow.
- People with aches and pains: As mentioned above, the smart comfort grid does an amazing job in terms of pressure relief. That’s why it’s great in alleviating joint aches and pains.
- People who like hybrid mattresses: If you’re looking for a more responsive mattress with additional bounce, the Purple Hybrid or Purple Hybrid Premier is a solid pick.
- Heavier people: Generally, hybrid and innerspring mattresses are good options for heavier people, which we confirmed in our Purple vs Nectar comparison. Thanks to their responsive support coils, the Purple hybrid options offer better support than the Original Purple. Also, they are a better option for heavier people because of the improved edge support.
- Stomach sleepers: The Purple Hybrid is a real winner for stomach sleepers who need a firmer mattress. It keeps the hips supported to prevent any curvature of the back. This is especially good for anyone who suffers from back pain.
- Combo sleepers: The Purple Hybrid Premier with 3” Purple grid is a great choice for combo sleepers as it offers exceptional support in all sleeping positions, keeping the spine in proper alignment. What’s more, according to reviews of the Purple 3 mattress on Reddit, it’s very responsive, allowing sleepers to easily change their position.
- Side sleepers: The Purple Hybrid Premier with 4” Purple grid (the softest version) is the best choice for side sleepers as the grid pattern of the mattress redistributes pressure on shoulders and hips.
Who Should Look Elsewhere and Why?
- People who like memory foam: If you like to sleep “in” the mattress rather than “on top” of it, the Purple mattresses won’t suit you. If you compare them with memory foam mattresses, like the Purple vs Leesa, you’ll notice they conform nicely to your body but don’t let you sink too much.
- Heavier people: People of above-average weight won’t find the Original Purple to provide sufficient support. The Purple hybrid options would be a much better choice for them.
- People on a tight budget: The price of the Purple hybrid models range from $1,299 to $3,499. So if you’re looking for a more affordable mattress, you may check out the Original Purple.
Is the Purple Mattress Legit?
Now that we’ve performed an in-depth analysis of all of Purple’s mattresses, we can vouch that they are top-notch products for their price range. You will get great value for your money, and the grid-like pattern brings about support and pressure relief that is one of the best in the market.
A Purple mattress is a beautiful, supportive choice for those that suffer from back and joint pain and those who sleep on their side. As noted in a Purple mattress review on Reddit, it’s also an excellent choice for people who tend to get hot when they sleep as the unique grid pattern makes it one of the coolest mattresses all year round.
Plus, with a 100-night risk-free trial or your money back and a ten-year warranty, you can be sure you’ll be making the right investment. If something goes wrong, you can take advantage of the excellent return policy. Overall, we think that Purple mattresses have a fantastic price point and offer a lot more for your money than most competitors.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a Purple mattress?
Depending on its size, the Original Purple costs between $649 and $1,299. The price of the Purple hybrid models also depends on the size of the mattress you choose and the level of comfort you go for. Therefore, the price range is pretty wide, starting at $1,299 for the Purple Hybrid (twin extra long) and going to $3,499 for the Purple 4 (California king).
How long do Purple mattresses last?
Purple mattresses have been on the market only for a few years, so we can’t predict their lifespan with certainty. However, they are made of quality high-density foam, and therefore, we can expect them to last around 8 years. Coils used in the Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier should even prolong their lifespan because they prevent sagging. Anyway, the Purple’s 10-year warranty should give you peace of mind.
Can you use a regular box spring with a Purple mattress?
No. Conveniently, Purple sells its bed base, which provides a foundation for a very heavy mattress without the need for a box spring. We would suggest not using a box spring since, in some cases, this can void the warranty. Make sure you read the full terms and conditions of your mattress before purchasing a bed frame. Purple has a variety of foundations available for you to choose from, including foundations that can be adjusted with a remote control!
Does the Purple Mattress need special sheets?
Purple mattresses don’t need any special sheets, but they should be stretchy since otherwise they can interfere with the smart comfort grid. People from Purple recommend using the Purple sheets and mattress protector because they’re very elastic, allowing you to sink into your mattress.
What is the powder on a Purple mattress?
You may have noticed some white powder coating your new Purple mattress. It’s also possible that you have even heard that there were some concerns surrounding it. Specifically, a little while ago, Ryan Monahan made the claim that this powder was harmful, thereby sparking a Purple Mattress lawsuit.
However, you can rest assured that this polyethylene-based powder is used merely to stop the mattress from sticking to itself when it is rolled up and compressed upon shipping—and it is entirely harmless. If you are still worried and would like to read up on it a bit more, you can read the full study on the powder.
Is the Purple mattress toxic?
Because we spend approximately one-third of our lives sleeping, it’s essential to know that the bed we are sleeping on (and coming into close contact with) is not harmful. You can rest assured that Purple is committed to providing chemical-free products that have no off-gassing, They also only use Certipur-US® Certified foam and non-toxic oil-based materials to produce their mattresses. Long story short? Purple is free of harmful chemicals, and its hyper-elastic polymer is hypoallergenic.
Does the Purple mattress have flame retardants?
Purple mattresses don’t contain flame retardant chemicals, such as PBDEs and Tris. Instead, they are made with a special fabric that is a natural flame retardant. In addition, Purple holds a GREENGUARD Gold Certificate, which proves that the product is suitable for use in environments such as schools and healthcare facilities.
What is better, Casper or Purple?
Which mattress is better depends on what you like and need. The Purple mattress offers more bounce in comparison to the Casper, which has a more cushiony feel. Also, if you are a hot sleeper, the Purple will be a better choice since it has better temperature regulation. On the other hand, the Casper’s zoned support is great for side sleepers who need pressure relief for their shoulders and ample support for the trunk. If you are interested, you can read more about it in our detailed Casper mattress review.
Is Purple better than TempurPedic?
Both the Purple and TempurPedic are high-quality mattresses. However, you should choose which one is better for you on the basis of your sleeping preferences. If you are a side sleeper, you will enjoy the plush feel of a TempurPedic memory foam mattress. On the other hand, if you like to change your sleeping position, the Purple is a solid pick since it’s more responsive.
Is the Purple mattress good for back pain?
The Purple smart comfort grid, made of hyper-elastic polymer, is great for pressure relief. It quickly conforms to the body keeping the spine in perfect alignment. Its ability to efficiently adapt to the body may be beneficial to people with back pain.
Which Purple mattress is best for side sleepers?
Since side sleepers have sensitive pressure points, they usually need a softer mattress. That’s why the softer version of the Purple Hybrid Premier (the Purple 4) is the best option for this sleeping position. The 4-inch-thick comfort grid provides great spinal support while allowing for pleasant sinkage that alleviates aches and pains in problematic areas like the shoulders and hips.
How firm is a Purple mattress?
The firmness level of a Purple mattress depends on the model you choose. According to our testers, the Original Purple and the Purple 3 are medium firm. The Purple 2 is a bit on the firm side, while the Purple 4 has a softer feel. You can read more about this feature of the Purple mattress above.
Is the Purple mattress hot?
No, Purple mattresses are designed to keep you cool while you’re sleeping. Thanks to their hyper-elastic grid, they are very breathable and efficiently dissipate all of your body heat. We’ve talked about the Purple’s temperature-control features in more detail above.
Does Purple remove your old mattress?
Yes, Purple can remove your old mattress free of charge if you buy a Purple Hybrid Premier mattress. However, if you buy the Original Purple, you don’t have an option to choose the free white-glove delivery or old mattress removal service.
For more information or to view the Purple Mattress online, visit the Purple website. We hope our comparative Purple Mattress review was helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please get in touch.