We all want a piece of luxury, don’t we?
Just imagine after a hectic day spreading out on a luxurious bed offering great comfort and support. Then you can have your best night’s sleep ever and awake full of energy and ready to conquer the world!
Don’t we all deserve this?
Well, I have great news—luxury has never been more affordable. At least that’s the idea behind the Saatva mattresses.
So let’s check them out in our detailed Saatva mattress review.
How Did the Saatva Mattress Make Our List?
Saatva is a mattress company that doesn’t just sell a mattress and label it luxurious. Instead, it offers a completely customizable process for its customers. So you can choose a mattress based on your preferences. And best of it all, this customizable buying process keeps the middleman out of the picture. As a result, there are few Saatva mattress complaints.
This is among the main reasons why Saatva mattresses hold a position on our list. Take a look at our in-depth review and find out why this mattress brand is a renowned player in the luxury-mattress league.
The Saatva Mattress Features
The first and most important reason the Saatva mattresses fall in the luxurious mattress category comes from their anatomy. Even though Saatva models are quite different, they are all designed to provide maximum support and excellent temperature regulation—as tested by our team of researchers and stated in a number of Saatva mattress reviews.
The Saatva Classic Mattress Construction
- The Organic Cotton Cover and the Euro Pillow Top: For maximum softness, Saatva uses Euro pillow-top cushioning material. This material makes the mattress more luxurious than other innerspring and hybrid mattresses. For example, we’ve compared Saatva vs Helix. You can also check out our full Helix mattress review. The Euro pillow top has more cushioning materials infused into it than the ordinary materials used in similar products, which makes it superior and worthy of being part of a luxury innerspring mattress. All this goodness is installed underneath the outer cover, giving the mattress an overall neater look.
- The Top Layer: This layer of the Saatva mattress is made of high-quality memory foam and designed to provide lumbar support. This is especially suitable for people who suffer from lower back pain and have emphasized pressure points. Many Saatva reviews on Reddit confirm that this mattress is a great solution for people with back pain.
- The Support System: Durability is a vital feature in a high-quality mattress. In terms of quality, this means there should be no sagging and no physical distortion on the mattress during its use. To provide such durability, the Saatva mattress has an anti-sagging edge support system designed and built to meet this purpose. It’s the Dual Perimeter Edge Support System, where the upper comfort coils from the sleeping surface are encased in foam. Even when compared with some high-quality foam mattresses, for example considering Saatva vs Purple, the Saatva has much better edge support. If you’d like to learn more about the Purple mattresses, read our in-depth review.
- The Middle Layer: It consists of a layer of coils, which are individually wrapped and provide the mattress’s comfort levels. The individually wrapped coil technology is used in the most advanced coil systems for luxury mattresses. This layer of the mattress is designed to provide the perfect contour to match every body shape.
- The Base Layer: Tempered steel coils in the base layer provide perfect support and stability for sleepers, which is confirmed by a number of comments about the Saatva mattress on Amazon. Furthermore, the steel coil support base is designed to create a long-lasting, sustainable mattress and reinforce its durability by preventing sagging.
The Solaire Mattress Construction
- The Organic Cotton Pillow Top: For a great level of comfort, the Solaire features a pillow top, just like the Saatva Classic mattress.
- The Top Layer: This layer is made of Talalay latex and gel-infused memory foam. The latex layer offers 5-zone support, so it provides great pressure relief for hips and shoulders. Thanks to the memory foam, the mattress contours to the sleepers body and adapts to different sleep positions. In more than one Solaire mattress review, side sleepers praise this quality of the Solaire. In addition, there’s a moisture barrier, which prevents bacteria growth.
- The Support Layer: Air chambers are designed to provide even support. It’s amazing that you can inflate or deflate them to create the perfect firmness level for your needs.
- The Base Layer: The entire mattress is supported by high density polyfoam, which also provides exceptional edge support.
The Saatva HD Mattress Construction
- The Organic Cotton Pillow Top: Like some other Saatva models, this mattress, specially designed for heavier individuals, has a pillow top, which creates a luxurious look. In addition, it provides amazing comfort, which is confirmed in many Saatva HD mattress reviews.
- The Top Layer: This layer consists of several different materials. First, Talalay latex provides 5-zoned support. Then, memory foam and support foams offer a great level of cushioning and contouring.
- The Support Layer: A layer of tempered steel coils offers exceptional support to sleepers of all sizes.
- The Base Layer: High density polyfoam supports the entire mattress, while also providing strong edge support.
The Loom and Leaf Mattress Construction
- The cover: Besides having a luxurious look, the quilted organic cotton cover is very breathable and soft to touch. It also features a layer of natural thistle flame retardant, and as you may see in almost any Loom and Leaf mattress review, this is a better option than using chemical flame retardants.
- The comfort layer: The gel cooling layer provides great comfort and spinal support. Plus, it prevents a sleeper from overheating.
- The contour layer: This layer is constructed with memory foam, which offers amazing pressure relief.
- The transition layer: High density polyfoam prevents a sleeper from sinking too deeply into the mattress and represents a transition to a firmer layer.
- The base layer: This layer is made of high density polyfoam, which provides a high level of support to a sleeper and the entire mattress. Almost every review of the Loom and Leaf mattress confirms that this layer contributes to the mattress’s excellent spinal support.
The Zenhaven Mattress Construction
- The cover: The Zenhaven mattress features the same type of cover as the Loom and Leaf.
- The wool layer: A layer of organic New Zealand wool serves as a flame retardant.
- The comfort layer: Talalay latex contours to a sleeper’s body and offers great comfort. It provides 5-zone support, meaning that its firmer in the lumbar region and softer under the shoulders and hips.
- The base layer: The base consists of several layers of Talalay latex, which provides a great level of support. More than one Zenhaven mattress review praise this model for being flippable, since this way you can choose between the soft and medium-firm side.
The Saatva Youth Mattress Construction
- The cover: The cover is made of organic cotton, so it’s very breathable and soft. Plus, it has a waterproof barrier, which protects the mattress from spills.
- The comfort layer: This layer is constructed with anatomically designed foam. It offers 5-zone support, being firmer in the middle to provide great spinal support and softer below the head and feet.
- The support layer: The coil system is very supportive, so it keeps the spine in natural alignment. As pointed out in almost any Saatva youth mattress review, this is crucial for young bodies that are still growing and developing.
- The base layer: High density polyfoam supports both the mattress and a sleeper.
Want to know how comfortable a mattress is? There are several aspects that you should consider. First, how firm is it? Second, do you feel like floating on top of the mattress or sinking in it? And finally, does it provide adequate spinal support? In this part of our detailed Saatva mattress review, we’ll answer all of these questions.
The Saatva mattress’s greatest luxury comes from letting customers choose the level of comfort they desire in their perfect mattress. The level of comfort largely depends on the top layer of the mattress, which is designed to provide contour and lumbar support.
The Saatva Classic mattress comes in three different comfort levels. However, we’re going to focus on the Saatva Luxury Firm mattress.
If you’re looking for hotel-level luxury sleep, then the flagship comfort level of this Saatva mattress is the right choice for you. The Luxury Firm is designed to provide the perfect balance between “cushion firm and contouring support,” and on our 1–10 comfort-level scale, this mattress hits a 6–7.
This allows you to sleep comfortably in any position, regardless of whether you prefer sleeping on your stomach or your back. Because of this feature, the firmness level of the Saatva mattress is rated number one in the ultra-premium-mattress league. If you’re looking for proper spinal alignment and a mattress that can accommodate the different sleeping preferences of both you and your partner, using the Saatva mattress store locator tool should be your next step.
You should also know that the Saatva Classic mattress comes in Plush Soft and Firm options.
It’s great that other Saatva models also come in several firmness options. If you opt for the Loom and Leaf mattress, you can choose between Relaxed Firm (medium feel) and Firm.
The Zenhaven is a bit specific, since it’s a flippable mattress. Therefore, you can choose either the Luxury Plush or the Gentle Firm side, depending on your sleep preferences. As you can see in almost every review of the Zenhaven latex mattress, this feature is one of its greatest advantages.
When it comes to the Solaire mattress, you can easily adjust the preferred level of firmness by inflating or deflating its air chambers.
On the other hand, the Saatva HD mattress comes in only one firmness level. Since it’s a bit on the firmer side, lighter people might find it too firm.
Finally, the Saatva Youth is medium-firm, which suits most sleepers. Based on numerous Saatva Youth mattress reviews, most customers have no complaints about the feel of this mattress.
As for sinkage, you should know that it largely depends on the user’s weight. Our team of researchers made a few tests to determine the level of sinkage based on several weight ranges—keep in mind that a person’s weight is more dispersed than the dense medicine balls we used in these tests.
A medicine ball that weighs 6 pounds creates 2 inches of sinkage on the Saatva Classic mattress. One that’s 50 pounds, and therefore of a higher density, creates 5 inches of sinkage when we place it on the mattress. And finally, a 100-pound medicine ball creates 6 inches of sinkage. Other Saatva mattress reviews show similar results.
Other Saatva models have a similar level of sinkage. However, we noticed that the Loom and Leaf has a greater level of sinkage, which doesn’t surprise us since it’s a memory foam mattress.
All Saatva models provide great spinal support to the sleeper. In all sleeping positions, they keep the spine in proper alignment, and you’ll feel that you’re sleeping on top of the mattress rather than in it. Generally, side sleepers might find the softer versions more suitable for their pressure points. On the other hand, strict stomach sleepers may prefer the firmer versions. Also, people of above average weight need strong support, so one of the best picks for them is the Saatva HD mattress according to more than one review.
As you may expect, the Saatva mattresses are also hot-sleeper friendly. Since the top layer of the mattresses is covered with a 100% organic cotton cover, we could say that they offer solid air circulation. Thanks to the organic cotton, the fluctuation of air in and out of the mattress is great. People who sleep hot will find the Saatva mattresses excellent in terms of air ventilation.
In hybrid models, the coil system improves the mattress’s air circulation. Also, we found that the Zenhaven has excellent temperature regulation. This is confirmed in almost every review of the Zenhaven mattress, which doesn’t surprise us since latex naturally doesn’t retain heat.
The only model that might not be the best choice for hot sleepers is the Loom and Leaf mattress. Since it’s a memory foam mattress, it retains more body heat than other Saatva models.
Most Saatva models have a special layer installed in their construction that provides their unbeatable edge support. Any Saatva mattress sagging is unacceptable; after all, these are luxury mattresses! Not only is their edge support superior, but it also provides the durability that Saatva is so famous for.
The most important feature of the mattress when it comes to edge support is that it provides the same support for the body as it does in the center of the mattress. And if you need to sit before you lay down or get out of bed without feeling like your body is slipping off, you need a mattress with solid edge support.
The only Saatva model that has weaker edge support is the Zenhaven mattress, since its support layers are made of Talalay latex.
When it comes to motion isolation, we can’t say that Saatva’s hybrid models excel in this department. We’ve made a quick Saatva vs Casper comparison, and as expected, the latter performed better on our test since it’s an all-foam mattress. You can also check out our detailed Casper mattress review. So if you’re a restless sleeper or your partner likes to change positions often, the Saatva hybrid mattresses might not be the best option for you since they don’t eliminate movement transfer completely.
However, according to Saatva Classic mattress reviews and our findings, the Saatva Classic mattress absorbs movement much better than other innerspring mattresses. This is provided by its individually wrapped coils, which are all completely isolated and don’t interfere with the movement of other coils around them. Also, the top foam layer contributes to reducing motion transfer.
And what about other Saatva’s models?
The Zenhaven is quite bouncy due to its latex layers, so it doesn’t absorb motion very well. Conversely, the Loom and Leaf, as a memory foam mattress, is great at motion isolation.
Durability and Maintenance: Are Saatva Mattresses Any Good?
Saatva mattresses are quite heavy, which you’ll notice when you have to lift the mattress. That’s because they’re made of high-quality materials, which guarantees you’ll be able to use the mattress for many years to come. You’ll be looking at a solid 15 years of usage, minimum—as recorded in reviews by many satisfied end users as well as per the company’s own guarantee.
As for maintenance, the mattresses are quite easy to keep in excellent shape, which many Saatva mattress reviews on Consumer Reports claim. Flipping the mattress isn’t recommended; it’s heavy, and you can injure your back if you decide to lift it on your own. Instead, try rotating it every six months; this will distribute the pressure put on the mattress from sitting or lying down constantly on one side. If you need to clean stains off of it, make sure you use a small amount of antibacterial soap on a damp sponge with a small quantity of lukewarm water. For drying, try a steam vacuum if possible. If not, let it dry on its own.
There are a number of positive Saatva mattress reviews on Yelp claiming that their customer service representatives are kind, attentive, and efficient. Unlike other mattress brands, Saatva’s customer service is available 24/7 to help you out with any questions you may have about their products and to deal with any complaints.
Terms of Sale
Trial Period and Return Policy
Saatva offers a 120-day free trial on the mattress in the luxury of your own home. The conditions are simple and pretty straightforward: if you decide the Saatva mattress isn’t the one for you, you can simply return it and receive a full refund, minus $99 for transportation. According to most reviews of the Saatva mattress, customers believe this is a good offer. Keep in mind that mattresses can’t be restocked; you’ll have to double-check the measurements before you confirm your mattress order.
Saatva Mattress Shipping
The company offers its customers free white-glove delivery on a scheduled day and time, which you’re advised to respect. If you aren’t at home at the delivery time, you will have to cover the $99 cost of transportation. Therefore, contact the company well in advance if you can’t meet the drivers on the day of delivery.
Saatva Warranty Period
Saatva mattresses are under a guarantee by the manufacturer itself that they’ll be defect-free for a non-prorated period of 15 years. If your mattress is deemed defective in the first two years of this period, you can replace your mattress with a new one.
The company also offers an alternative “Fairness Replacement Option” for customers if their bed is deemed defective. In this case, if you think your mattress should be replaced, Saatva offers to let you keep your original mattress, and instead of repairing it, you get a brand new mattress with a Saatva mattress discount! In the case of returning your mattress after 3–5 years, you can get a new one for only 30% of the original price you paid.
If you find your mattress defective during years 6–10, your mattress will be replaced for 50% of the original price you paid, and in years 11–15, you’ll pay 75% of the original price. In these cases, you won’t be required to pay for the delivery of your mattress, either. It’s important to note that the warranty is valid only for the 11.5″ mattress when used on an adjustable base and not for another Saatva mattress height, like the 14.5″, since that mattress can’t be used on an adjustable base. Also, Saatva takes complaints only in writing.
Saatva takes pride in the fact that their mattresses are highly recognized in the luxury-mattress category, and they’re an entirely American product, designed and manufactured in the Saatva facilities in the States. Made with the highest quality of materials and designed to fit several different sleepers, in addition to their added luxury features, these mattresses are quite affordable—especially when compared to similar mattresses in this category.
Even when there’s no Saatva mattress sale, the pricing starts at as little as $699 for the Saatva Classic mattress, but the prices vary depending on your chosen model and size. Therefore, it’s best that you check the mattress price on the manufacturer’s official website.
Additionally, excellent financing options are offered by the company, so you don’t need to wait for a mattress sale to get your piece of luxury.
Saatva Financing Options
If you’ve decided to buy the Saatva mattress, the company has an additional perk for you—an easy and fast financing option. Saatva is partnered with Klarna—a global payment solutions company that offers customers a simple and seamless buying experience.
All you need to do is choose Klarna at checkout on Saatva’s website, and you’ll be prompted to a fast and easy credit check that doesn’t require any bank information, therefore it’s completely safe. As reported by many from the Saatva mattress review Yelp community, all your information during the payment processing is completely safe, so no worries on that matter.
After you’re approved, you can choose whether you want to pay in full within the next six months after buying or get a revolving credit line that allows you to spread your purchases over time with very low APR rates. Keep in mind that if you decide to pay in full within the first six months, the APR is 0%.
Who Should Buy the Saatva Classic Mattress?
In our Saatva mattress review, we’ve considered all the features offered by this mattress, as well as the consumer experience, in order to find out who can benefit most from this mattress. As this mattress is designed to offer features that meet the sleeping needs of almost all types, it’s suitable for nearly anyone in terms of getting a good night’s sleep.
However, take into account your preferred sleeping position and other sleeping preferences when choosing the comfort level of your Saatva mattress.
- Side sleepers: The Plush Soft, the softest version, is perfectly suited for side sleepers. This Saatva comfort level is especially suitable for those who lie on their arms during the night and experience “dead arm” symptoms.
- Sleepers who prefer a deep hug: People who want to feel like they’re sinking in and are hugged by their linens would also find the Plush Soft perfectly suitable.
- Couples: The Saatva Luxury Firm mattress is ideal for couples. If you share your bed with someone and need as much space as possible, Saatva is a great choice thanks to its excellent edge support. Also, Saatva Luxury Firm mattress reviews claim that if you and your partner have different mattress preferences, the Luxury Firm will meet you both halfway.
- Sleepers with back problems: If you need strong lumbar support or have health issues for which a doctor has prescribed a firm sleeping surface, the Firm Saatva mattress is what you should look for.
Who Should Buy the Solaire Mattress?
- Side and back sleepers: Since the comfort layer nicely contours to a sleepers body, most side and back sleepers will find this model comfortable. Most customers confirm this in their Solaire mattress reviews.
- Couples: The Solaire mattress in a queen and king size has dual settings, so partners can adjust the firmness level according to their preferences.
- Hot sleepers: This mattress model by Saatva doesn’t retain much body heat.
Who Should Buy the Saatva HD Mattress?
- Sleepers of above-average weight: This model is specially designed for heavier people, so it provides exceptional support.
- Hot sleepers: The Saatva HD has a great temperature regulation, so it’s a great pick for most hot sleepers.
- Couples: Even though it’s a hybrid mattress, the Saatva HD isolates motion quite well. Based on more than one review of the Saatva HD mattress, this is thanks to its thick comfort layer.
Who Should Buy the Loom and Leaf Mattress?
- Side sleepers: The memory foam layer provides excellent pressure relief, which is especially important to side sleepers.
- Couples: The Loom and Leaf mattress is great at preventing motion transfer.
Who Should Buy the Zenhaven Mattress?
- Hot sleepers: Latex naturally has a great temperature regulation, so this mattress won’t trap body heat.
- Sleepers looking for eco-friendly materials: The Zenhaven is often referred to as the Saatva organic mattress since it consists of 100% cotton, wool, and natural Talalay latex.
Who Should Sleep on the Saatva Youth Mattress?
- Children: The Saatva Youth is specially designed for children aged 3+. It provides excellent support to growing bodies.
Who Should Look Elsewhere and Why?
- People who like a memory foam feel: The Saatva hybrid models aren’t for people who like to sleep on a memory foam mattress. Although they have some memory foam installed in them, they don’t offer the same feeling as memory foam mattresses.
- Sleepers who prefer a greater sinkage level: People who want to sink in deeply in the mattress may not find the SAatva hybrid mattresses fit for them. They can try a Saatva topper—otherwise they won’t sink in enough. The support the mattresses offer is primarily due to the coils, which is also why there’s not enough sinkage.
- Light sleepers: People who wake up easily due to noise shouldn’t pick the Solaire mattress, since its air chambers might produce more noise compared to other materials.
- People of below-average weight: The Saatva HD mattress is designed for sleepers of above-average weight, so it might be too firm for lighter people.
- Combo sleepers: Sleepers who like to change their sleeping position might feel stuck in the Loom and Leaf mattress due to a higher level of sinkage.
- Heavier people: The Zenhaven mattress might not provide adequate support for people of above average weight.
Is the Saatva Mattress a Good Mattress?
In the category of premium mattresses used in high-class hotels around the world, Saatva mattresses rank pretty high. They’re designed to keep customers loyal and satisfied, and their quality and different comfort levels appeal to sleepers of different categories. All in all, we can conclude that Saatva mattresses deserve the adjective “luxurious.”
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Saatva mattress cost?
The Saatva mattress is a luxurious mattress in the premium-mattress category, designed and manufactured in the US. For its quality and durability, as well as the extra conditions offered to make you a loyal customer, the Saatva mattress comes at a pretty affordable price. Starting at $599 for the smallest size and up to $1,399 for the California King, the mattress price depends on your preferred comfort level as well as the size and thickness you choose.
Need to know where to buy the Saatva mattress?
The best shopping experience for the Saatva mattress is offered on their website—where you can also find more details about the company’s mattress options. However, you can also try certified retailers like Amazon.
How long does a Saatva mattress last?
It’s very difficult to make an accurate prediction since mattress durability depends on many factors, including the sleeper’s habits and how well the mattress has been maintained. The Saatva company claims that with proper care, the mattress will last 10–15 years. Considering that the average lifespan of innerspring mattresses is 6 years, this might be an optimistic estimate. However, you shouldn’t worry about this—the mattress is covered with a 15-year non-prorated warranty. In addition, Saatva offers a Fairness Replacement Option. Read more about it here.
Are Saatva mattresses non-toxic?
Saatva uses 30% plant-based foam that is CertiPUR-US certified. Therefore, it doesn’t contain harmful substances, such as ozone depleters, heavy metals, and formaldehyde. In addition, its cover is made of organic cotton, and as a flame-retardant barrier, it uses a natural thistle barrier instead of toxic chemicals.
Do I need a foundation for a Saatva mattress?
It’s always better to use a foundation for your mattress in order to prevent mildew from forming. Saatva recommends using their original foundation, but you can also use your old foundation if it’s in good shape. What’s important is that your warranty is still valid even if you opt for your own foundation.
Can a Saatva mattress be used on an adjustable base?
Yes, the 11.5″ Saatva mattress is compatible with an adjustable base. While this applies to the 11.5″ Saatva luxury mattress, keep in mind that the requirements for what 14.5″ the rests on are different—an adjustable base is not suitable for the taller mattress.
Does the Saatva mattress need a box spring?
No, the Saatva mattress doesn’t require any specific, particular base. It can be placed on a box spring, platform bed, or an adjustable base. You can use whatever suits you the most. Just remember that the same does not necessarily apply to Saatva’s 14.5″ mattress, since we’ve been focusing on the 11.5″ here.
Do I need to flip my Saatva mattress?
No, you shouldn’t flip your Saatva mattress. You need to make sure its layers remain in their particular order to serve their purpose. However, it’s recommended to rotate it from head to toe at least once a year, if not more often. This way, you’ll ensure its longevity because it will wear evenly. But you can learn more about its maintenance.
How much does a Saatva mattress weigh?
The Saatva mattress is of above-average weight. With this in mind, it might be a good idea to take advantage of Saatva’s free white-glove delivery. The weight of the 11.5″ queen-sized Saatva is 110 pounds, while the same model in the 14.5″ height weighs 120 pounds.
We hope that our Saatva mattress review will help you decide which mattress is the best for your needs. For any additional information you need, we’re here to help!