Have you always dreamed of sleeping on a luxury memory foam mattress, but you thought it would cost you a fortune?
Well, it doesn’t have to be like that!
The Novosbed will give you that luxurious feel for a reasonable price. This mattress is made of high-quality materials, and it’s designed to ensure a great night’s sleep.
You should know that this is not one of those reviews that will try to nudge you into buying something that’s not for you. In our Novosbed mattress review, we’ll be honest about what this mattress has to offer so you can decide if it’s right for you.
Why Does This Mattress Have a Place on Our List?
We’re always on the hunt for quality, affordable mattresses. In addition, it’s important to us that the products we put on our list of best mattresses rank high within several different criteria. In this particular case, the Novosbed mattress caught our eye—it’s a combination of luxury, high quality, and affordability.
Some of the most popular magazines, like the Financial Post and Refinery29, have featured positive Novosbed mattress reviews. Packed like that, this mattress deserves a place on our list; and in this review, you can read in great detail what makes the mattress so fabulous.
The anatomy of the Novosbed mattress includes four layers perfectly combined to create a mattress that will be durable, luxurious, and comfortable for sleepers. It’s manufactured in the US, which according to many Novosbed reviews is an important buying factor to a large number of people.
The Novosbed Construction
All its layers are designed and tied together to make a mattress that allows for even weight distribution during the night. That’s partially due to its 5th generation, high-density memory foams and the designer-grade fabrics used in all layers of the mattress.
- The Cover: The cover is made of a highly breathable, polyester material called Tencel. It’s an eco-friendly, machine-washable, ultra-soft cover. In addition, the Novosbed mattress cover draws moisture away from your body and helps the mattress keep you cool throughout the night.
- The Top Layer: The Novosbed comfort zone, which is the 2-inch-thick top layer of the Novosbed mattress, is designed with state-of-the-art air-cell technology that provides the highest air circulation and breathability a mattress can have. The advanced air circulation technology incorporated in this layer of the mattress allows excellent heat dispersion and luxurious comfort. However, the top layer of the Novosbed mattress isn’t very fast in its response to pressure. According to some Novosbed customer reviews, this can make you feel like you’re stuck in the mud.
- The Middle Layer: The middle layer of the Novosbed mattress, or the Recore Transition Zone, is a 2-inch-thick layer of memory foam that allows the body to perfectly contour while lying down. It also provides excellent pressure relief for people with pressure point pains as well as perfect motion isolation, so you won’t get disturbed by a restless sleeping partner. However, just like the top layer, it may be a little slow to respond and get back to its original shape after pressure is applied.
- The Base: The base layer of the Novosbed memory foam mattress is a 7-inch-thick Durabase premium support polyfoam designed to provide stability for the sleeper so they don’t fall off the mattress, as well as durable support for the rest of the layers.
Finally, if the four layers of the mattress simply aren’t enough for you, the company has designed a way for you to add an extra layer of memory foam to your mattress by simply zipping it in. And best of all, should you choose to order one, the company will send you this Comfort+ layer for free. According to one Novosbed review on Reddit, this adjusting kit is a great addition for side sleepers.
When assessing how comfortable a mattress is, we need to consider its firmness level, sinkage, and the support it provides. Let’s start with firmness since this is often the most important mattress-buying criteria. The Novosbed mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium, and firm. This is unlike some of Novosbed’s competitors. For example, when we compared Novosbed vs Endy, we realized that maybe the Endy mattress is more affordable, but it’s one size fits all.
Firmness preferences are subjective because factors like weight and sleeping position will largely influence the level of firmness you need from a mattress. Having multiple firmness options speaks well to a diverse range of sleepers. Each of the firmness level variations of the mattress carries its own characteristics, and each will be more suitable to different types of sleepers.
Firmness Level 1 (Novosbed Soft Mattress)
The soft Novosbed mattress is designed for contouring and plushness without making you sink so much into the mattress it’s like you’re stuck in quicksand. This Novosbed mattress (the soft version) is best suitable for side and back sleepers, providing them with just enough hugging support to feel comfortable. Side and back sleepers usually need more pressure relief, and the softer the mattress, the better they’ll sleep. However, too much sinkage can have the opposite effect, which is what Novosbed avoids perfectly here.
Firmness Level 2 (Novosbed Medium Mattress)
The most popular among the Novosbed mattresses, it’s designed to provide the perfect balance between support and that plush comfort we all want in a bed. In our Novosbed memory foam review, we’ve noticed that the medium version is a suitable option for sleepers from all categories.
The contouring here is medium, unlike the soft version, which has deep contouring. Whether you sleep on your back, stomach, or side, this mattress will work perfectly for you. Hence, the medium firmness level of this mattress is perfect for sleepers who change positions during their sleep.
Firmness Level 3 (Novosbed Firm Mattress)
For those who sleep on their back or their stomach only, a firm mattress is the most comfortable option. The Novosbed firm option is designed with firm transitional foam and provides light body contouring, allowing perfect spinal alignment and back comfort.
If for some reason none of these three firmness levels works for you, Novosbed offers you an extra layer of memory foam to add to your chosen mattress. Every review of the Novosbed highlights this as one of the greatest advantages of this mattress. The extra memory foam, the Comfort+, can increase or decrease the firmness of the mattress by one point, helping you get the exact firmness level you desire. And it can be delivered to you for free if you decide to order one.
In terms of sinkage, users usually want to know whether they’ll be lying on the surface of the mattress or sinking in and feeling hugged by it. This of course is subjective as it largely depends on the user’s weight. However, we’ve determined in our Novosbed review that general sinkage on the Novosbed is rarely more than 2 inches.
When choosing a mattress, it’s very important that it provides adequate support so that it keeps your spine properly aligned. We found that the Novosbed provides enough support for the hips and trunk, which is especially important for back and stomach sleepers. However, heavier people might need a greater amount of support, so they may benefit from ordering the Comfort+ kit to increase the mattress’s firmness. Also, the firm version of the Novosbed is probably the best choice for people of above average weight.
Novosbed mattresses have a top layer with high-end open-cell airflow foam that features countless airways for heat dissipation. When we compared Novosbed vs Douglas, which is another foam mattress by Novosbed, we noticed that the latter has better cooling properties thanks to its eucalyptus fabric cover and cooling gel foam. Although we wouldn’t recommend the Novosbed to hot sleepers, this mattress features constant breathability, and it’s on par with other foam mattresses.
A solid, high-quality memory foam mattress means good edge support since nobody wants to feel like they’ll fall out of bed at any moment during their sleep—which is why we were careful to investigate that in our Novosbed review. Our findings were positive; the mattress ranks pretty well on the matter of edge support, allowing you to use the entire sleeping surface the mattress provides. However, if you sit on the edge of the bed, you’ll notice a bit more sinkage, which is commonplace for most foam mattresses.
Motion transfer is an especially important factor when choosing a mattress for couples, and we put much effort into covering this aspect in detail in this Novosbed mattress review. You want to rest assured that when your partner changes positions or gets in and out of bed, you won’t feel it and wake up.
As a memory foam mattress, the Novosbed ranks well on the motion transfer scale, meaning there’s little to no motion transfer and the mattress absorbs motion well. That makes the Novosbed a good option for couples, especially if one of the partners is a restless sleeper and changes positions often overnight. This has been affirmed in other Novosbed reviews as well.
However, weight can make a huge difference in absorbing and transferring motion. If you or your partner weigh 230 pounds, the medium or firm option is better for feeling minimal movement during your sleep. If you and your partner weigh under 120 pounds each, you can easily go with either the medium or soft mattress from Novosbed.
Durability and Maintenance
There are two important facts to be considered when discussing the Novosbed mattress’s durability. First, it’s manufactured in the US with high-quality materials and a manufacturing procedure that complies with both American and Canadian regulations.
Second, we read through tons of positive Novosbed consumer reports in a number of online communities that together comprise 84% owner satisfaction. This information together is enough to show that you can feel safe investing in this mattress.
When it comes to regular mattress care, it’s great that the top cover can be easily removed and machine washed. It’s recommended that you wash it in cold water and mild detergent. In addition, you should never bleach the cover or dry-clean it. After washing, just hang it to dry. It’s also a good idea to rotate your mattress 180 degrees from time to time—this way, it won’t wear unevenly, and you will prolong its lifespan.
According to Novosbed reviews on Amazon, most customers were satisfied with the help they got from Novosbed representatives, who were both friendly and knowledgeable. Therefore, if you can’t decide which mattress is right for you or you have any questions after your purchase, you can easily get in touch with the Novosbed customer support by phone, email, or live chat.
Terms of Sale
Novosbed is considered to be the company that invented the 120-day trial period back in 2009. And their current trial period truly is unique. After buying your mattress from Novosbed Canada, you get the 120-day trial period. After the first 30 days, you get the chance to adjust the firmness of the mattress by ordering the Comfort+ kit. If you still don’t like it after 60 nights or more, you can return your mattress for a full refund.
By buying the Novosbed mattress, you get a 15-year warranty that’s valid in case of any defectiveness in workmanship or materials from the day you make the purchase.
In comparison to some of the Novosbed’s competitors—for example, Novosbed vs TempurPedic—you’ll see that both Novosbed’s trial period and warranty cover a longer time period.
When you order a mattress from Novosbed, it ships to you for free. However, if you want white-glove delivery, there’s an additional cost of $99.
The cost of your Novosbed mattress depends on its size, ranging from $1,033 for a twin bed to $1,433 for a California King. You can also choose the firmness level, which won’t affect the price.
There’s an option to pay for your new mattress by making monthly installments through their third-party partner Affirm. In addition, during promotional periods, you can find Novosbed coupon codes on the manufacturer’s website.
If you’re looking for more affordable options, check out our list of the best cheap mattresses.
Who Should Buy This Mattress?
This mattress is designed to provide a combination of comfort and stability with a luxurious feel, making it a good option for a rather wide category of sleepers.
- Couples: The Novosbed shows pretty good motion transfer, so it’s a good fit for people with sleeping partners.
- Sleepers who aren’t sure of the firmness level: The Novosbed offers three different options and an additional solution in case one of their firmness levels doesn’t work for you. If you compare Novosbed vs Casper, you’ll see that the latter tries to achieve the one-size-fits-all feel. To find out more, check out our in-depth Casper mattress review.
- People who love the memory foam feel: This is a classic memory foam mattress with over 4 inches of memory foam designed to provide perfect contouring to your body and excellent pressure relief. If you have pain points on your body and need great pressure relief, this is the right choice for you. For more options, you can check out our list of the best memory foam mattresses.
Who Should Look Elsewhere and Why?
- Hot sleepers: We compared Novosbed vs Loom and Leaf and realized that although both are memory foam mattresses, the Loom and Leaf has a layer of conventional foam in the cover that allows for more airflow. If you are a hot sleeper, then maybe you should take a look at our Loom and Leaf review.
- Heavy people: Also, you may want to consider another option if you’re a little more on the heavier side in terms of weight or if you change positions overnight. We compared Novosbed vs Leesa on this matter and can safely say that even though the Novosbed, with the levels of firmness it offers, can accommodate heavier sleepers, the Leesa may still do a better job in terms of bounce.
- Combo sleepers: Some combination sleepers have reported that the Novosbed has a higher degree of hug, not letting you change positions quickly. So if you tend to toss and turn, you should also check our Leesa review for more details about this mattress.
- People who prefer soft mattresses: Finally, if you prefer to sleep on a softer mattress, you also may want to look elsewhere. We compared Novosbed vs Amerisleep AS5 and concluded that the AS5, with its rank of 4/10, is a much more suitable mattress for people who prefer a plusher mattress. The Novosbed ranks a minimum 6/10 on the firmness scale, the lowest of its three firmness levels. Therefore, you may read our full review of the Amerisleep AS5 to find out more about this model.
To sum up, if you aren’t a fan of that classic memory foam feel, the Novosbed just won’t do for you.
Is the Novosbed too good to be true?
With three firmness options, plus the firmness adjusting kit, almost all categories of sleepers can find the Novosbed suitable. It’s durable and, most importantly, highly affordable. In addition, the shopping conditions are so lucrative, they leave no space for thinking otherwise.
We’d say it certainly stands up to its reputation as a truly excellent mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a foundation for the Novosbed?
It’s possible to put the Novosbed directly on the floor, but only if the location isn’t prone to moisture build-up. Don’t place your Novosbed mattress on a concrete floor or basement floor. Also, you should use a foundation if you live in a humid environment.
Where is the Novosbed made?
The Novosbed mattress is made in the USA. The manufacturer claims that this enables them to follow strict quality control standards and produce high-quality products, which are all Certi-PUR certified.
How do I set up my Novosbed?
It is very easy to set up the Novosbed mattress. First, you need to unbox it and remove the outer plastic. Just be careful not to damage your mattress. Place it on your bed frame, unroll it, and remove the remaining plastic, which you should keep in case of a return. That’s it—you can use it right away! However, keep in mind that the mattress needs up to 48 hours to fully decompress.
Where should I go to buy the Novosbed in Canada?
You can place your order online on the manufacturer’s website. The Novosbed ships their products to Canada for free. An additional fee may apply to some remote locations.
Will Novosbed take my old mattress away?
Novosbed offers a third-party delivery service that can set up your Novosbed and remove your old mattress. This white-glove delivery costs $99, while there’s an additional fee of $35 for the old mattress removal.
Does the Novosbed sleep hot?
The Novosbed uses third-generation vertical airflow to keep the mattress cool. However, just like most foam mattresses, it’s not ideal for hot sleepers, as it may retain body heat. Read more about this feature here.
Overall, in our Novosbed mattress review, we have to say that this mattress checks positively across all our mattress-buying criteria, now that we’ve analyzed so many reviews and done our own research. So final verdict: absolutely yes!